The sporadic episodes of thought and feeling, unfiltered, that I am prone to and need to release.

28.12.08

A Couple More Football Thoughts

Something I didn't really think about is that there really isn't anything to watch on Sunday afternoon if you're not going to watch football1. I'll consider it a nudging from God to read more.

My cousin Logan is seven. He's pretty big for a kid his age2. His father, Scott, is one of those insane sport parents. For instance: Logan was playing basketball a couple years ago and there was a kid who was scoring on Logan a lot, apparently. Scott's solution? To tell Logan to knock the kid over. Being a good kid, Logan did as his dad told him, plowed through the child, and got kicked out of the game. Crying commenced.

Scott has Logan playing football. Being a big boy, Logan plays on the line. One day before a game, the coach said to him, “Are you gonna play football today, or are you going to be a little bitch?3” I would have removed the man's vocal cords. But did anybody say anything? No, because that's football. That's just how it is. I mean, seriously. This is out of control, and we need to get a grip. We need to say it's unacceptable to call little kids a bitch. Sports do not make it acceptable.

Oh, by the way, Logan doesn't want to play football anymore. He says it's not fun. I wonder why? He may be big enough to be a football player one day, but he's a sweet kid that just likes to giggle and goof around. This is not something to be discouraged.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

1 Unless I develop an interest in pro bowling. In that case, I'm set.

2 Or even for a 10-year-old. I can barely pick him up anymore.

3 May I remind you that he is SEVEN YEARS OLD?

No comments:

I Have Fans?

About Me

My photo
I am who I think I am, I am who you know I am, I am who I want to be, who I was, who I could be, who I can't be. I am.