The sporadic episodes of thought and feeling, unfiltered, that I am prone to and need to release.

6.12.08

Maybe I'm Out of Touch...

Now, I realize I'm hardly the first person to say this, but I've never understood the "it's complicated" option for relationships on Facebook. I never really thought about it, but someone rather important in my life now claims this status for herself, so let's dwell on it for a moment.

Let's go over this: You aren't quite sure what to make of your... relationship... quest... thing... with what may or may not be a significant other. It's unclear what direction things are heading, and even if you know how you feel about that person, you don't know how the other person feels. You don't know if you want a commitment, you don't know if the other person wants a commitment. But you like the person- that much is evident- and you don't want to be just friends.

Not only are you cognizant of these things, but you actually admit them to the other person, and they agree. How do you have that conversation? "Hey, um, look, we're not boyfriend/girlfriend, but we're not just friends, and we haven't really decided what we are. You want to let the rest of the world in on our indecision?"

2 comments:

Zen Rocker! said...

That is EXACTLY the conversation you have.

Then if you both agree, and are more mature than your average 14 year old (ooops, this is Facebook we are talking about here) then you realize that by having such a conversation and being so upfront with each other you ARE ACTUALLY IN A RELATIONSHIP!

Then you have to change your status all over again! :)

Seriously... "It's Complicated" is a way of saying, "I'm in a relationship but since it looks and acts nothing like how a relationship is supposed to act, based on what I've been told and my own misguided expectation, then I have a tough time accepting it as a relationship."

Nicole Bonomini said...

I don't think "it's complicated" necessarily denotes the relationship as a non-relationship. What relationship isn't complicated? Some people just may be more upfront and OK with the realization (or pessimistic), and thus want to declare to the world that they're in a relationship and it's a mess. heh.

I Have Fans?

About Me

My photo
I am who I think I am, I am who you know I am, I am who I want to be, who I was, who I could be, who I can't be. I am.