The sporadic episodes of thought and feeling, unfiltered, that I am prone to and need to release.

14.12.10

Still a Long Road to Equality

This is a "The Whirling Dervish" piece that was originally published by Speakeasy on February 9, 2006.  This is one of the more significant pieces I wrote.  Apparently, my take was a bit controversial, as I attracted the ire of the OU Democrats.  Page counts for this piece was double what it normally was to that point and continued to climb after that.  More below.

It’s been just over a week since the death of Coretta Scott King, and it’s still leaving its mark on the nation. Unfortunately, the echo of her funeral will ultimately be an ugly one. Civil rights leaders decided her funeral was the best time to blast Bush for policy decisions instead of sticking to the matter at hand, which ostensibly was honoring the life of Mrs. King.

Once, there were sacred places and occasions that transcended politics. Funerals, churches, sporting events were places people were expected to check their grudges at the door. Now all bets are off. Bringing in candidates to give stump speeches at Sunday congregations? Sure. Protest the Iraq war at a funeral? Hey, go for it.

It takes a lot to make President Bush look like the dignified one, but the Rev. Joseph Lowery and others managed to pull it off. If you want to make your statements, do it outside. The media weren’t going anywhere. Such petty tactics cheapens the occasion. Would Coretta or Martin Luther have stooped to such a level? No, so why decide not to follow their example?

Of course, we’re not walking on a yellow brick road to racial equality and harmony. Some people have decided to celebrate Black History Month by setting fire to nine Alabama churches, four of which serving black congregations.  The KKK would be so proud.

King’s death and funeral has led me to wonder if there are any prominent black leaders that are able and ready to assume the lead of the still-going civil rights struggle. What’s telling is that while the racial gap has lessened 40 years later, the struggle is still yawning. The logical choice would be Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, a young, charismatic man who could very well make a run at the White House sometime within the next 20 years.

What is coming out of the White House right now, however, will do little to bridge that gap. The budget proposal Bush submitted to Congress this week is bound to go over very poorly.  What strikes me is the bill passed by a thin margin (216-214). Thirteen Republicans, including local Bob Ney, voted against the budget, which includes significant cuts in Medicaid and Medicare funding, along with the usual cuts to taxes for the wealthy, student loans and welfare. However, there is a strong chance the House will not pass this budget.  Let’s pray it does not.

So, I just noticed I predicted Obama running for president.  Cool.  Anyway, OU Dems Mark Gaffney posted a comment attempting to blast me.  However, he lacked the ability to actually do so, instead coming up with fallacious points like this one: "The media critics, not the invited guests of the memorial, are responsible for politicizing Mrs. King’s funeral.  Any assertion to the contrary only further illustrates this truth."  Remember, anyone who disagrees is wrong.  This was right after he accused me of presuming only my opinion was right. 

No comments:

I Have Fans?

About Me

My photo
I am who I think I am, I am who you know I am, I am who I want to be, who I was, who I could be, who I can't be. I am.