The sporadic episodes of thought and feeling, unfiltered, that I am prone to and need to release.

24.5.10

Lost and Found

I lost my iPod a little while back. I was originally despondent, as I brought the thing everywhere with me. I listened to it walking places. I listened to it driving anywhere. I used it as a way of shutting out the world, drawing inward. Plus, I was just really used to listening to music wherever I went. I searched somewhat frantically (and fruitlessly) for it.


I didn't know what to do. I couldn't justify the expense of buying a new MP3 player1. Do I... dare go outside... without headphones? This concept may seem laughably simple to some, but I had been musically accompanied for almost eight years. I purchased a nice and pricey set of noise-canceling headphones last year. The idea of getting around with no soundtrack was nigh-unfathomable.


But, again, I'm tight with my money. So I had to bite the bullet and deal with the sounds the world around me produced.


The result? Not exactly revolutionary. I'm certainly more aware of traffic, but the difference has not been great. I've replaced the music with my inner monologue, mostly. Still, it is kind of nice. I feel more at ease walking around, more attached to the world. Perhaps in some small way, it's forcing me to hide from my surroundings a little less. I don't look at my feet as much as I did.


The problem is when I'm driving around. Not locally; I replaced the iPod with NPR some time before losing it. However, when I'm leaving the Athens area, I don't have an easy supply of music. I have to depend on radio or dig out CDs to play. I don't like that. That's the thing that might drive me to buying a new MP3 player.


As it turns out, though, I was wrong overall. I thought losing it would be a catastrophe. It hasn't been. In fact, I've hardly noticed. I don't have to worry about keeping it charged or not losing it (ironically). It's a tiny life lesson: I can easily misjudge what I consider important.




Postnote: As I was writing this, I mentioned the topic to my friend. Her response, paraphrased: She would die if she lost her iPod. You know? I think she'd do just fine.
__________________________________________________________

1 This had the hidden benefit of completely divesting myself of Apple products. Suck it, Apple.

No comments:

I Have Fans?

About Me

My photo
I am who I think I am, I am who you know I am, I am who I want to be, who I was, who I could be, who I can't be. I am.